How To Take Care Of Your Burlap Bags And Other Items April 20, 2021 08:00
Burlap, also known as Hessian in some countries, is one of the eco-friendly fabrics. Made from jute plants, burlap is found in neutral colors and brown shades. However, you may also apply dye to make the fabric colorful. You can find beautiful and vibrant custom branded bags designed with burlap.
The jute plant fibers, while blended together, create a yarn. Then, due to the application of pressure, the jute yarn becomes softer and thinner. This is how we get burlap fabrics useful for different purposes.
Burlap bags have become much popular to avoid the risk of pollution from plastics. The high tensile strength makes the bag durable. Moreover, the fabric does not lose its strength, although you wash it with water repeatedly. There are also treated and coated burlaps to make the fabric rot-proof. You can invest in burlap bags with logo and use them as the best promotional items.
However, how do the bag users should take care of the burlap fabrics? We have presented a comprehensive guide on how to care for your burlap bags. With minimal maintenance, you can make these fabric bags long lasting.
Hand-washing technique your burlap bag-
It is better to choose the manual cleaning process for your burlap bags. You can clean them in a way you treat other tote bags, pillowcases, and jute sacks. Check out the few steps for washing your burlap bags:
- Use your sink and fill it with some cold water. You must not use hot water, as it causes shrinkage to the fabric.
- Add some mild detergent to the water. You may prefer a liquid solution to prevent deposits.
- Then, leave your burlap bag for 5 minutes. Ensure that no part of the fabric is frayed.
- You have to use your hands for stirring the burlap material gently.
- Rinse the bag with cold water. Avoid squeezing and twisting the burlap bag.
While taking the burlap bag out of the machine, you must be careful to keep away from damages and creases.
Guide to machine washing your burlap bags-
You know that the machine-washing process is slightly rougher. Thus, when you are sure about preserving the burlap fabrics’ integrity, you can put your bags in the machine.
Some burlap bags are available in large and heavy models. You can try out the machine-washing technique for them. Washing machines can manage non-delicate items, like heavy-duty jute, burlap upholstery, and tablecloths.
Tips to operate your washing machine to clean your burlap items-
- Apply cold water and choose the right program to deal with your delicate burlap fabrics.
- The wring program of your machine is not safe for your burlap items, although it removes moisture.
Small burlap items are not friendly to your washing machine. You can find the risk of disintegration and shrinkage.
When you have bought burlap tote bags bulk, you have to check their size and make your decision.
How to remove odor from your burlap bags-
Baking soda can be the perfect option for odor removal from your burlap bags. Find the steps to remove unpleasant odors from your bags.
- Use a spray bottle and fill it with the dissolved baking soda solution.
- Then, you can spray this solution over your bags. Leave the bags for a few hours by turning their inside out. Then, you can spray the baking soda to treat the interior side. Let the bags dry naturally.
In some cases, baking soda does not remove the odor, and thus, a better alternative for you is the lemon juice. Do not choose harsh acidic treatment that can damage your burlap fabrics. The air-drying process is the best option to avoid mildews and molds. Take two towels and place the bag in between them.
There are commercial stain removers available in the market. However, while using them for your burlap bags, you have to read the manufacturers’ instructions carefully.
How to remove stains from your burlap bags-
Stains on your burlap bags are easily removable with a few steps.
You can use a wet sponge for blotting the spots away. Choose a dry cloth to remove the moisture. The oxygen-based stain removal products are effective in removing stubborn stains. At first, you can apply a little amount of the product to test it for your bag. Rinse the bag with a wet towel and clean the bag thoroughly.
You may also use a solution of water and soda for stain removal.
How to dry your burlap items-
Proper drying is essential to prevent molds and odor. You can choose a flat surface to place the burlap item. The direct sunrays will make them dry naturally. You must also dry the interior cotton lining, handles, hard bottoms, and zippers.
Ways to store your burlap items-
You have to clean your burlap bags thoroughly and dry them out. Then, they are ready for storage. Choose dry and cool environment to draw out the moisture. Any type of residues on your burlap bag can attract bugs. When it is a burlap and hessian cloth, you must not fold it to avoid wrinkles and creases. The best solution is to roll it up and store it at the desired place. Direct sunlight is not safe for your burlap items, as it makes the fabric brittle.
A few more maintenance tips for your burlap items-
Buying burlap totes wholesale is a cost-effective choice. However, to get the best value from your investment, you have to maintain those bags. You can go through some important maintenance tips for your eco-friendly burlap bags.
- When you think of ironing your burlap upholstery, tablecloth, and drapery, you have do it in the wet condition.
- To keep up the original structure and shape of your burlap bags, you can insert a cardboard case into them.
- Choose a proper place to store your burlap bags. It ensures smooth flow of air and prevents mold growth.
- Burlap items can easily attract odors, and thus, you must keep them away from other odor-emitting items,